about      archive      playlist

2.07.2016

Bucket List

http://golfrevue.at/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/GolfandCity-Stockholm3.jpg

1. Live in Europe
I lived in Lithuania for the first few years of my life, but I would like to move back to Europe for some time, perhaps to Sweden or Norway. When I was a baby my parents and I lived in Sweden for a while but of course I don't remember any of that. Now that I'm older, though, there's something about that region of Europe that fascinates me.

2. Dine at an extremely expensive restaurant
I'm talking a three Michelin-star, ten-course meal, with portions much too small for the plates they're in. Ingredients I can't pronounce and techniques ranging from ancient and traditional to mind-bogglingly futuristic. I want to eat somewhere not for the sake of satisfying my hunger on a budget, but for truly enjoying the flavors of the food. I don't want a burger slopped together and presented to me in a paper box. At least once in my life I would like to enjoy a night of carefully thought-out dishes made by passionate chefs. I haven't figured out the issue of paying for this meal yet...

3. Finish a game of Monopoly
I'm aiming high with this one - life is too short for goals that don't challenge you.

4. Fall in love
I'm not sure how to elaborate on this more. It's just something I want to experience before I die. I want to know what it feels like.

https://a.travel-assets.com/mediavault.le/media/944f6beab1a23999a613d5c8ef49ee8b037ca9fa.jpeg

5. Ride a long-distance train
I've never gone on a long train trip but the idea seems so cozy and exciting at the same time. A little room all to yourself, restaurants under glass ceilings to watch the scenery rush by, cafe cars... I think I would like to ride a train through Europe. Perhaps a short trip from Chicago to Washington D.C. would be a good precursor, though, so that I don't hop onto a train for a 2-week trip without knowing if I actually like it or not.

6. Go on a river cruise
This one, I think, is kind of similar to riding a train, just a different mode of transportation. I've gone on Caribbean cruises before but I think the experience would be very different because the ships are so much smaller and you are never out in the open water. Since I've already mentioned Europe twice, maybe a different destination this time. Viking River Cruises offers a trip through China. Or I could flip-flop it? A train through China and a river cruise through Europe? Oh well, the more traveling, the merrier.

http://goldentimesnewwoman.com/WSIEFBT/nalesnikikawowe3.jpg

7. Eat crepes in France
Just looking through Google Images for this one is making my mouth drool. In addition to traveling to France, I want to eat all of the classic French foods: crepes, macarons, souffles, croissants, French fries the way they're supposed to be made.

8. Go wine and cheese tasting with friends
I'm noticing a food/travel pattern here. Anyways, this one will have to wait a few years as I am not of legal drinking age yet, but I know I love cheese and what better opportunity to try all sorts of fancy varieties than with friends in a scenic vineyard?

9. Hike up a large hill before sunrise
I had written "small mountain" but I am now wondering if that's overshooting it a bit and if my legs could carry me that far. It would be extremely disappointing to see the sun start to peek above the horizon while you're only halfway to the top. I guess it depends what exactly the definition of a mountain is... I'm going to keep it manageable, though, and say "large hill". The view would be spectacular either way, and I love the quiet of early morning, so experiencing it from a high altitude should be unlike anything I've ever seen/heard.

http://i1.wp.com/grapevine.is/wp-content/uploads/MG_6016.jpg?resize=1600%2C800&quality=85

10. Go berry-picking
I have many memories of mushroom picking in Lithuania. We went just last year, on our most recent trip, and my grandma cooked the various types of mushrooms we had picked in the most heavenly way and served them with a simple side of potatoes. I've never gone berry picking, though, but my parents always tell me about the amazing taste of the berries they would pick as children, and I want to try them for myself.

11. Visit New York
This one might actually happen soon, as my parents are considering going for Spring Break! It seems like the city that people from other countries think of when they think about America. I love big cities in general, and I want to experience this famous one outside of movies and TV shows.

12. Have a picnic in a secluded area
I think it would be hard to find the perfect place for this, but the whole process - preparing the picnic basket, hiking to the spot, unpacking and enjoying the food while surrounded by nature - seems like it would be so worth it.

13. Explore a city spontaneously
I love traveling, but sometimes it can get stressful with the pressure of visiting all of the museums, making the most of every day, and making sure to leave time to eat. That's why I want to completely forget about that for at least one trip in my life. I want to let each day take me where it wants to take me as I explore with a paper map as my only guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment